Con and I were chatting about the different things I think of when I think of Local. We created a list, which is as follows.
- Geographic community: the people who live close to you (farmers market, neighborhood, school district.)
- Relationships: The people with whom you interact within your geographic location. (Friends, family, classmates, coworkers)
- Situational Community: Those you interact with by coincidence, or by necessity.
- Political groups
- Local Businesses with Local Products
- Local Businesses with non-local Products
Our thoughts for this discussion were that while I start working on my graphics and any Athens’ Own project, making sure I have a good understanding of what Local is and how it plays in to everything I do. It’s also important that when you are working to share a message that you understand well enough that you can convey that message to others. That way if I am trying to get a conversation started with my community, like Ohio University Students, and they ask a question like “What is Local? How can I help?” I know exactly what to tell them to make the most impact and to give them correct information to pass on to the people in their community as well.