- To: Halley Davidson (HD) regarding her Intern Log Entry #7 June 21 – Define Research
- Constantine Faller (CF): AO IC – Operations Chief, (Basic Needs – Education), Internship Program Coordinator
- From: K. Jacobson (kj): BWH IC/AO Liaison/Mentor
The italicized excerpts are from Halley’s log.
June 21 – Define Research
- A response to an unknown or a question regarding a situation or topic. In this response, a person will attempt to answer the question, or complete enough data searching that there is a limited amount of error to their personal understanding of the topic.
- Is not limited to a certain time frame, but is expected as a part of a lifelong commitment to learning. This means that the person is always ready to learn more and to adapt to situations by continuing research.
Methods of Research:
- Using a theoretical question to build a hypothesis, and to then complete experiments and read past data to prove or disprove the hypothesis.
- Completed using the scientific method to asses and current situation and its weak links to attempt improvement.
- When entering an unfamiliar location, one can be expected to acquire the necessary amount of information in order to perform well within that situation.
- As the move through the situation, being able to adapt to new information and to continue on the path of learning.
- When starting a professional job or project, making sure that the person understands the goals and history of their customer or employer creates a more productive and less redundant work environment.
- Includes reading provided materials, but also taking personal initiative to scope out possible supportive documentation, and to become familiar with the methods used in that business. (Communication software, specific training requirements, management methods, etc.)